Some people are blessed with perfect skin. Others have done all the research and tried all the fad products in hopes of maintaining the perfect complexion, but still suffer from uneven skin. Something we almost all have in common though is the annoying unexpected breakout. With so many different skincare products on the market, and all the myths surrounding the causes of breakouts, it can be hard to figure out how to address them.
Even for those who are diligent about their skincare routine, breakouts can come at the most inconvenient of times. Here we are going to discuss the possible causes of your breakout, and what the best ways are to prevent them.
What causes unexpected breakouts?
When we experience a breakout out of nowhere, it seems that all we want to focus on is how quickly we can get rid of it. The best thing you can do in this situation is to try to identify what is causing you to break out. Here is a list of the top 5 unexpected reasons blemishes are wreaking havoc on your skin:
- You’re not getting enough sleep – Just like your brain, your skin functions better when you are giving it the rest it needs. Getting enough sleep at night will give your skin time to recharge and replenish so you wake up with a well-rested complexion.
- Your diet – What you put into your body will show on your skin. Eating foods with too much sugar or processed carbs is going to invite oils and toxins into your skin, creating the perfect breeding ground for those pesky breakouts.
- You’re touching your face with dirty items – This does not just include your hands. Makeup brushes, pillowcases, towels, and even your phone are full of bacteria and dirt that are not good for your skin. Make sure you are changing out or cleaning these regularly to avoid transferring breakout-causing grime onto your face.
- Stress – This is something a lot of us deal with daily, but it is a leading cause of unexpected breakouts. This is because stress causes your body to produce cortisol, the stress hormone. The overproduction of this will leave your skin oily and congested, leading to blemishes.
- Harsh acne treatments – Our first instinct is to go after our breakouts with whatever acne-fighting product we have on hand. The problem with this is that many of these products can be overly drying, causing your skin to become more inflamed and irritated. You want to make sure you are using products that will rid your face of grime and oil, but not strip away the moisture needed to keep skin hydrated and healthy.
How can we prevent breakouts?
All of these factors cause your skin to produce more oils, which in turn make you breakout. Keeping a healthy diet, drinking lots of water, and finding ways to deal with high-stress levels will go a long way in keeping your skin clear, but the products you use will make a big difference too.
It can be hard to choose what products will work best when your skin is prone to breakouts. If you tend to get oily skin, it is important to find skincare that will work to balance out your oil build-up and lock in the hydration it needs.
Yes, you should always use a toner
Many people think that toning is an unnecessary step in their skincare routine. While this is far from true, it is especially important for those with oily skin types to always use a toner after cleansing. This step provides an extra cleaning and protective barrier to your skin while shrinking your pores and restoring the skin’s pH balance. For an all-natural option, Way of Will makes the Oily Acne Skin Face Toner. This toner contains silk amino acids and omega 3 fatty acids which help to build moisture in your skin.
The formula is perfect for those who are oil-prone because it is infused with Sandalwood Floral Water and Lemongrass Floral water, which work together to cleanse and rid the face of excess oils. The Way of Will toner will tighten your pores, calm your irritated skin, and prep it for the rest of your skincare routine.
Follow up with a serum to target moisture levels
After you have cleansed and toned your face, you should apply a face serum. Taking this step in your routine will give you a more concentrated level of ingredients your skin needs. Face serum is important because it works to penetrate deep into the skin and lock in and promote moisture, leaving your skin smoother and pores smaller.
If you need an oily skin formula, Way of Will carries the Oily/Acne Face Serum which is made to feel lightweight and absorbs easily. This serum contains astringent that will gently dry up oils and regulate sebum (the waxy, oily mixture of fatty acids and sugars that coat your skin – too much build up can cause breakouts) production. Infused with Lemongrass essential oil to naturally detoxify, and lavender oil to clarify your mind, this product will quickly become the part of your skincare routine you don’t want to skip. The Way of Will Oily/Acne Face Serum will clarify congested skin and allow it to breathe and regenerate.
Choose the right spot treatment
When you have a big event coming up, the last thing you want is to be worried about is breakouts on your face. When choosing a spot treatment product, you have to be sure it has the right ingredients to treat your breakouts without drying or damaging your skin. Look for products that will calm the inflammation and prevent further aggravation. The Way of Will all-natural Tea Tree Pure Grade Essential Oil has properties that can address the oily congested area.
This Tea Tree oil has a fresh slightly smoky fragrance and fights against skin bacteria and irritations. Tea Tree oil is known to have multiple medicinal uses including relieving the symptoms of the cold and flu and relieving the feeling of exhaustion or depression. This essential oil will leave your skin feeling clean and refreshed while setting your mind at ease.
The most important thing you can do for your skin is to be mindful of it. To avoid unexpected breakouts, remember to keep a healthy diet, stay hydrated, get rest, and try to destress. It is also important to limit the amount of bacteria you transfer to your face from your hands or any items that come into daily contact with it.
Once you have determined what you need to change to help your skin, make sure you are using products that will help maintain your smooth complexion. Taking preventive measures will help you to avoid these unexpected breakouts, and leave your skin happy and healthy.